Best 3 Undercounter Ice Maker Reviews
Undercounter ice makers are particularly beneficial for offices and businesses in the food and beverage industry. While they produce sufficient quantities of ice, these machines are usually compact and easy to install.
When examining the best undercounter ice maker, there are several essential characteristics to pay attention to. The dimensions of the appliance, its capacity, the type of ice that it makes and the ease of cleaning should rank among the primary considerations.
Based on these criteria, we’ve examined an array of undercounter ice makers on the market. The research has enabled us to rank the top three machines in the niche. Here are detailed reviews of the best three undercounter ice makers and the characteristics that differentiate these appliances from everything else that the market has to offer.
1. Scotsman CU50GA-1A Undercounter Gourmet Ice Cube Maker
Gourmet in the name makes this appliance sound pretty impressive and as far as customer reviews go, there isn’t anything negative to note about it, either. Scotsman CU50GA-1A Undercounter Gourmet Ice Cube Maker occupies the first spot in the ranking because of its solid construction, the large ice making capacity and the various additional features that make the appliance incredibly easy to operate.
Unlike some of the portable ice machines on the market, this one makes ice cubes rather than bullet-shaped hollow ice. There is a water quality sensor that’s capable of detecting hard water. If the sensor detects impurities, the control system is activated to purge the minerals and improve the taste of the resulting ice cubes.
The most important technical specifications of the appliance include:
- Capacity to make up to 65 pounds of ice per day
- A storage bin that can hold up to 26 pounds of ice at any given time
- The machine produces crystal-clear, slow melting ice cubes
- The water quality sensor reduces the number of times that the machine would have to be cleaned
- The appliance is designed for commercial indoor and outdoor use
- Sensors provide information about water condition and when the appliance needs to be cleaned
- A built-in drain pump is available for effortless cleaning
- Energy Star-certified to minimize electricity consumption
- Self-contained, air-cooled condenser is available
- The machine is really compact, which allows for effortless installation – it measures solely 14.87 by 34.37 by 22 inches
- The compressor comes with a five-year warranty
As you’ve probably concluded from the list of technical specifications, Scotsman CU50GA-1A Undercounter Gourmet Ice Maker is an impressive appliance. On top of that, it has a beautiful stainless steel design that turns the ice maker in the perfect machine for the modern kitchen.
Consumer reviews about the appliance are predominantly positive. Some of the biggest advantages that people mention include the following:
- Very durable: several of the reviewers have been using the Scotsman undercounter ice maker for multiple years. They haven’t experienced issues with the functioning or with parts breaking down. The appliance is made of high quality materials and it’s designed to be functional and long-lived.
- Compact design: while it does have an impressive daily ice making capacity, the Scotsman undercounter ice maker is compact enough to fit even in a small kitchen or an office.
- It makes ice cubes: the cubes that the machine makes are solid and crystal clear. They don’t melt quickly, which means that they’re not going to dilute the drink while chilling it. On top of looking crystal clear, the ice cubes are completely tasteless because of the appliance’s filtering mechanism.
- Beautiful design: the stainless steel exterior is beautiful and sleek. The material also makes the cleaning of the exterior a breeze.
Overall, the Scotsman undercounter ice maker is a machine worth considering. The shortcomings aren’t that many. Here are a few complaints about the machine:
- Expensive: this well-made undercounter ice maker is on the more expensive side. It will appeal to the individuals that are capable of dedicating a larger sum to the purchase of the appliance.
- A bit noisy: some reviewers mention the fact that the ice machine is on the noisy side in comparison to other similar appliances.
- Plumbing work required during installation: the appliance connects to the main water source. While this fact is great because it ensures an endless supply of the resource required to make ice cubes, it means that the installation process isn’t going to be the simplest one.
2. Whynter UIM-155 Stainless Steel Built-in Ice Maker
The second entry in the list is much more affordable than the number one appliance. If you are looking for an affordable solution that still delivers quality, you’ll be happy with the machine.
Whynter UIM-155 Stainless Steel Built-in Ice Maker deserves the title of the best cheap undercounter ice maker. The machine is much smaller than the Scotsman appliance but this fact makes it easily portable. With an ability to make 12 pounds of crescent-shaped ice cubes in a 24-hour period, this ice maker is best for low traffic places.
Some of the most important technical characteristics of the appliance include the following:
- A six-pound ice basket
- A nine-foot ¼ inch water line connection is provided with the machine
- An ice scoop is provided with the machine
- Automatic shutoff feature discontinues the production of ice when the bin is full
- No drain is required, water that melts inside the machine will be recycled in the next batch
- Suitable both for freestanding and built-in installation
- User-friendly controls and one-button operations
- A high efficiency, CFC-free compressor is available
- The appliance measures 18 by 25 by 15 inches
The small size and the affordability of the appliance are probably two of its biggest advantages. Buyers are also enjoy the beautiful and sleek stainless steel design. Several other advantages mentioned in multiple reviews include the following:
- Lightweight and compact: when it comes to small undercounter ice makers, Whynter UIM-155 doesn’t disappoint. The weight of the appliance is only 65 pounds, which makes moving the machine around and getting the installation completed a breeze. Regardless of the fact that it is lightweight, the ice maker is also very sturdy and created for long-term use.
- Accessories are available: an ice scoop, a removable ice basket and a food-grade water line connection are provided with the machine for added convenience.
- Easy to install: unlike other appliances that have to be connected to the main water line, this one is relatively easy to install. Many buyers were capable of completing the process on their own, without hiring a professional to get the job done.
- Drainless machine: since the extra water doesn’t have to be drained from the ice maker, this appliance is much easier to maintain in an excellent condition than other comparable machines.
- Silent functioning: the compressor gets turned on occasionally to maintain the cool temperature inside the appliance. Most reviewers, however, report that the functioning of the machine is silent and non-disturbing.
In essence, the Whynter undercounter ice maker gets the job done and it works according to the manufacturer’s specifications. Because it’s a relatively inexpensive machine, however, it does miss a few of the characteristics that high-end models on the market come equipped with.
A few of the most important shortcomings are:
- Very small ice making capacity: the daily output of the machine is relatively low. As a result, Whynter UIM-155 is mainly suitable for use at home or in a smaller office. The appliance isn’t designed for massive commercial use.
- Not a frost-free appliance: the machine will have to be de-frosted manually every once in a while.
- Problems with defective parts: some of the buyers have reported struggles with defective parts like the thermostat or the compressor. The good news is that the appliance is provided with a lengthy warranty. In the unlikely case of an issue, repairs and replacements will be made free of charge.
- Not an energy-efficient unit: if you want to bring down your electricity bill while using an undercounter ice maker, this appliance isn’t the right one for you. Instead, look for an Energy Star certified ice maker (it will usually have a higher upfront cost than this unit).
EdgeStar IB120SS Ice Maker
When it comes to quality, inexpensive undercounter ice makers, EdgeStar IB120SS Ice Maker is another crowd pleaser. The machine is very reasonably priced, it has a good capacity for at-home use and the design is quite beautiful.
Some of the most important technical specifications worth mentioning include the following:
- Up to six pounds of ice can be stored in the bin
- The machine makes crescent-shaped ice cubes
- A 25-foot long ¼ water line connection is included in the kit
- Easy start-stop controls through the use of one button
- A reversible door for effortless installation underneath any countertop
- An ice scoop is provided with the kit, as well
- Black design with a stainless steel door
- A front vent incorporated in the design
- Automatic shutoff protection when the ice bin is full
- No drain is required, water gets reused to make a new batch of ice
- The appliance measures 26 by 19 by 17 inches and its weight is 54 pounds
In a sense, EdgeStar IB120SS is similar to the previous entry in the list. This undercounter ice maker falls in the same price range and it has a comparable capacity. There are numerous positive customer reviews written about this item. Numerous positive characteristics get highlighted in more than one of the testimonials:
- Compact and easy to install: the appliance has standard size, which makes it suitable for installation underneath the overwhelming majority of countertops. In addition, it weights only 54 pounds. If you’re interested in a machine that will be easy to move around the kitchen, this one will be just right for you.
- Silent functioning: the compressor gets turned on periodically to maintain the optimal temperature inside the machine. Most reviewers report, however, that the functioning of the undercounter ice maker is silent and non-disruptive.
- No need to get it manually-filled with water: this is the main difference between countertop and undercounter units. If you don’t want to refill a tank with water several times per day, you’ll need to choose a machine like EdgeStar IB120SS.
- It keeps the ice frozen: there’s no need to get the ice that the machine makes out immediately. Unlike a countertop model, this one maintains optimal temperature throughout the day to keep the ice frozen.
The shortcomings to keep in mind before deciding whether this ice maker is the right one for you are:
- Not frost-free: occasionally, you’ll have to de-frost the machine manually to ensure its proper functioning.
- Doesn’t produce the advertised yield: while most reviewers were completely happy with the amount of ice that the machine makes, a few people reported that the daily yield doesn’t come close to what’s been advertised. The reason could have been a faulty installation.
- No water filter: if you live in a region characterized by hard water, you’ll have to purchase an additional filter. The model isn’t provided with one.
To Sum it All up
The top three ranking has probably given you a better idea about the diversity on the undercounter ice maker market. The machines have a wide array of features, capacities and additional conveniences.
Before starting the research, you may want to set a budget. Knowing how much money you have to spend on the purchase of an ice maker will simplify the process of looking for the right product.
Always go through both the technical specifications and the customer reviews. The experiences of other buyers will shed light on some of the experiences and characteristics that haven’t been mentioned in the official product description. Look for several similar claims mentioned in multiple testimonials. This way, you can be confident that the information is unbiased and authentic.
Finally, you may want to look for a lengthy warranty and you should also examine the reputation of the brand. Companies that have been on the market for a longer period of time and that specialize in cooling/freezing technologies are usually the manufacturers of high quality ice makers. Good luck!